Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Learning Express: Registries for Kids

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that this has happened, but did you all know that there are gift registries that kids can create for themselves out there in retailworld? Meaning that, at The Learning Express off of 15/501 in Durham (located at the shopping center that brings you PetSmart, Gymboree, and Kohls) your child can create a wishlist of toys he or she wants for their birthday.

At The Learning Express, the child gets a big tupperware bin. They take the bin, go around the store, and put all the toys that they want in the bin. The bin gets placed, with their name on it, behind the register. And when relatives and friends go to shop, they head to The Learning Express, get the bin, pull an item out, pay for it, and off they go to the party with a gift the child specifically asked for. In the world of zap-and-register, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by this, but I was! Perhaps I am just way behind the times...

But I can see this easing a lot of shopping woes and eliminating poorly picked gifts for kids that end up left unused in the toybox; flipside is that I suppose it could possibly teach kids that receiving gifts is about the actual item itself, not the thought. You decide whether you like it or not, and let me know. I just learned that it's an option, so am not being quick to judgment either way.

That information dutifully shared, The Learning Express is a cute toy shop tucked into the row of shops on Witherspoon Boulevard. Despite it's name, I didn't find that the toys to purchase were all and exclusively education-related or educational. The store is certainly more diverse than the name implies. And there was a lot of stuff in there. I was a little overwhelmed by the amount of things, but also pleased to know that with a place like that we'll always be able to find arts and crafts and new toys to occupy our kids. Great place to gift shop for a child, especially if they registered!

The Learning Express- Durham
http://www.durham.learningexpress-toys.com/

Patterson Place Shopping Center
3604 Witherspoon Blvd
Durham, NC
Phone: 919-401-8480

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home