Friday, May 28, 2010

Stroller Aerobics in Chapel Hill

I had already compiled, based on recommendations from my wonderful mommy's group, information on Stroller Aerobics around the Triangle. But I hadn't ever actually taken one...lazy, procrastinating, I always told myself they were too far away for a 1 hour class being in Durham or Raleigh....But when one of you blog-readers out there recommended classes right here in Chapel Hill I ran out of excuses. So I went. And I am so glad I did!

This class was taught by Marcy Luna. And she is a great resource for this area. A certified personal trainer and mommy herself, she teaches stroller based fitness classes for those of us living here in this part of the Triangle.

The class I went to yesterday has been part of the Baby Boot Camp franchise. This class was held in Southern Village, and since the weather was nice, it was all outside. As a group fitness professional, I thought this class was a challenge! We started with some muscle toning using steps and walls outside. Then for our cardio we did a 2+ mile path with some hills, all while pushing a stroller. And some of the other mommies there were pushing double-duty with 2 kids.

But while challenging, Marcy was great about tailoring this class to all different levels. Participants were free to push as hard as they want, or to take a lower impact option. Marcy was very supportive of any mom out there working hard under the sun.

The class was also, obviously, a bunch of friends. The other mothers were very fun and welcoming. There were clearly friendships and relationships that went beyond a fitness class.

I loved being outside for my workout; since I generally stick to gyms, it was a nice change. And C, as well as the other kids in the class, loved it too. And let's take a second to note that the kids in the class were of all different ages. So don't let your child's age be an excuse to stay away from fitness classes specifically tailored for mommies.

Even though I did not have a fancy jogging stroller, my Maclaren collapsible worked fine. We were on paved paths.

So that's the good news: Marcy is great and the class was great. I got to burn calories, get outside, and spend time with my baby while doing it.

The bad news: Baby Boot Camp is no more. Since Baby Boot Camp is a franchise, Marcy is no longer going to be offering classes through their program. And she was the only Baby Boot Camp in the Chapel Hill area.

The good news (got whiplash yet?): Marcy is still going to be teaching stroller fitness classes in Chapel Hill. Marcy has been teaching the Stroller Fitness class at UNC Wellness Center at Meadowmont for awhile. It's a freestyle class called Stroller Circuit, offered on Tuesdays at 10:30 am.

Classes are open to the public, you do not have to be a Wellness Center member to attend. But if you are not a member you do have to pay a $10 guest fee to get in for the day. Classes operate similar to the Southern Village class, but use the Meadowmont Village area instead.

Marcy is also contemplating offering stand-alone one-off stroller circuit classes in Southern Village since the location is so great. If you are interested, get in touch with her. She really is a great instructor, fully certified as a personal trainer, and just a fun person in general. I was pleased to have met her!

Call Marcy Luna, MS at 919-260-0003

The UNC Wellness Center at Meadowmont
http://www.uncwellness.com/
100 Sprunt Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27517
Phone: (919) 966-5500

Baby Boot Camp http://www.babybootcamp.com/

2 Comments:

At June 1, 2010 at 3:22 PM , Blogger ve_canedo said...

It was nice to meet you at the last Baby Boot Camp class in Southern Village. I hope you'll join the Stroller Circuit class in Meadowmont. We workout inside on rainy days like this morning.Take care and thanks for providing such fun and relevant content for Chapel Hill area moms.
--Vivian

 
At June 2, 2010 at 7:11 AM , Blogger chapelhillmom said...

It was so great to meet you in person, & thanks so much for your support and ideas. I really appreciate it! See you soon?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home