Thursday, June 3, 2010

All Children's Playground- Raleigh

A post from Sarah C. today. A September 2010 closing date seems very close, and I definitely want to take C there before this classic park is no longer an option! ** Note: this playground is still open. We'll update here when it does officially close for demolition and reconstruction.

Tucked inside of Laurel Hills Park in Raleigh is All Children’s Playground. Similar to Kids Together Playground
in Cary, it was designed to accommodate children of multiple ages and abilities. We took a family outing there to explore and play. My husband and I interpreted the “all” part of the name to mean big kids like ourselves could play too and all 3 of us had a great time.The playground features your traditional elements such as swings and sand. There is also a small basketball court with a low goal just for kids. While we were there a group of 4 boys around 4-5 years old were having a great time using it. But the real gem of the playground is the “castle.” I’m not sure that’s the official name, but that’s what it looks like to me. It’s a large wooden play structure with a maze of spaces to climb, slides, tunnels, etc. As we explored, we came across some neat paintings hidden throughout and I am curious about the story behind them.

In researching this playground further, I am both a bit saddened and a bit excited to learn that there is a group, Sassafras All Children’s Playground
, working to rebuild the playground as it does not meet newer codes. Personally, finding the “castle” was like rediscovering a bit of my own childhood. This is the type of fun play structure I remember exploring many years ago. I hate the thought of it being torn down, but at the same time recognize that safety is more important. The idea behind Sassafras is to build a new, safe playground that will continue the tradition set forth by the original to be a place for children of all abilities. Who isn’t excited about that?

Plan a visit soon if you want to experience the "Castle" for yourself as it is set to close in September
(source: Go Ask Mom – Laurel Hills Playground Apr 8, 2010). And while there, explore the other features Laurel Hills Park has to offer – basketball courts, baseball fields, soccer field, walking paths, small pond, and Community Center.

All Children’s Playground at Laurel Hills Park - Raleigh
3808 Edwards Mill Road, Raleigh
919-420-2383

Labels:

1 Comments:

At January 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM , Blogger Michelle Byerly said...

I am originally from Dallas, Texas, and back in the day (I'm 33), volunteers, my parents included, built a playground for our suburb that is EXACTLY like this gem. The official name was Kidsville, and it was beloved by all. Seeing your pics took me back to the days of ducking and running through our "castle"...Even if it did make me feel a tad old, thanks for the trip down memory lane!! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home