Friday, July 30, 2010

Red Robin

Carolina Parent recently rated Red Robin as the one of their top picks for dining with kids.
So when DH and I were running out for a quick lunch with C, who can't seem to sit still through a meal for anything, we decided to give it a try. We went to the Red Robin that is located off of 15/501 near New Hope Commons (feel free to stop by the Starbucks there, too).

Sarah C. and I don't generally blog about restaurants. Just having high chairs and a kids menu isn't enough, there has to be something really special. Well, believe it or not, Red Robin is really a great place for kids and I thought it worth sharing!

The kids menu has standard fare with grilled cheese and chicken nuggets. Yet they also have fresh melon, mandarin oranges, and steamed broccoli which, as a parent trying to teach my child healthy eating habits, I really appreciate. And I also think this is what other parents enjoy so much about this place, and why it ranks so high on the parents pick list.

But Red Robin had a lot of entertainment for kids, and I am sure it rates high on their pick list, too. There are balloons and crayons and coloring sheets for at-table enjoyment. The restaurant itself is full of things to look at and enjoy. There is also a "game room" for kids. (They call it a game room, but it is a part of the waiting area that has a couple of arcade games. I am not diminishing it, though, since it is a fabulous thing for kids. Bring quarters.)

Another thing to know: on Tuesdays and Thursdays during lunch the Red Robin himself stops by. He comes into the restaurant to say hello to the kids and encourage them to eat their vegetables.

Even the Red Robin website has a whole kids section on it. Check it out (see below).

From an adult perspective, I was surprised at how decent the food was. Our wait staff was so friendly and helpful, even with C. If you needed any more incentive to eat here they offer a bottomless basket of fries for all sandwiches. That's right, the fries never stop. They keep coming and coming. It's as if they are bringing to life one of my dreams.

Red Robin Restaurant
http://www.redrobin.com/

5324 Durham-Chapel Hill Blvd

Durham

919-419-4980


Also locations in Raleigh, Apex, and Cary. See website for full listings.

5 Comments:

At July 30, 2010 at 8:47 AM , Blogger LauraC said...

A word of warning - we went there when our twins were just under 3 on a night Red Robin was there. They were FREAKED OUT. They refused to eat because they had to keep an eye on Red Robin the entire time. Then when Robin came over to our table, they both started screaming at the top of their lungs! It's funny in hindsight but not so funny at the time :)

Heading to Carolina Tiger Rescue tomorrow, didn't know about it at all until I read your blog!

 
At July 30, 2010 at 9:36 AM , Anonymous Lizzie Lou said...

Red Robin's kids menu has way more than grilled cheese and chicken nuggets. They have stuff like grilled chicken skewers with dip which my kids LOVE.

 
At July 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM , Blogger chapelhillmom said...

Hi Laura- That's funny about the Robin freaking them out. I could see that.

Thanks, Lizzie, for clarifying. They definitely have standard fare if that is what your kids want to eat, but you are right: one of the things I appreciated was the creative and healthy options they have for kids, too, as you mention. We particularly enjoyed the fresh watermelon. A fabulous surprise for us parents and a great treat for C.

 
At July 30, 2010 at 3:59 PM , Blogger Marty, a.k.a. canape said...

Okay, maybe I'm being way too picky, but the TV's turned me off (no pun intended). We went to the one in Apex after a great outing to the New Hope Valley Railway, and all the TV's were on Cartoon Network. I spent most of the meal trying to distract my two year old from Scooby Doo. I'm not anti TV - I just am pretty sensitive about age appropriate TV I guess.

 
At July 30, 2010 at 5:40 PM , Blogger chapelhillmom said...

Hey Marty- at least you guys had kid stuff on tv. We had ESPN. We ended up facing C away from it. Too distracting for him!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home