Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Chocolate Door Gourmet Chocolates

Sometimes I feel clueless. Like yesterday when I walked into The Chocolate Door, asked how long they had been open, and was told 7 months. I felt like it was just 2 weeks ago that I saw the sign going up! I can't believe I waited so long to go here, it's great.

I have expressed my love for Matthew's Chocolate in Hillsborough, so you know I love some good chocolate. And this place delivers! The thing that is unique about The Chocolate Door is it's selection. This chocolate shop has the largest, and most diverse, selection I have seen in town. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me so didn't get any shots inside. But I did have enough willpower to wait until I took a picture of the beautiful chocolates I brought home before eating them.

The Chocolate Door is owned by a couple, and the woman is a Le Cordon Bleu trained chef who moved to Chapel Hill from Atlanta. She decided to follow her calling and open a chocolate shop. And she is so talented. While I was in there with C, she was working hard in the kitchen, which opens to the front of the shop so you can see her in her element. The chocolate is art: it looks gorgeous and tastes delicious.

So why is this on a blog for parents?

When I walked in to the store with C, the gentleman owner was wearing a Sesame Street tshirt and holding their 4 month old daughter. The place has a pack n play and a baby swing in it (not for your use, I am sure, but just indicates how welcome kids are). There is a kitchen to look at (even if it was challenging to keep C out of it) that provides entertainment. And coming towards the end of the month they are adding baked goods and items, made fresh, to their case.

Another added benefit to mothers especially is that The Chocolate Door is being awarded a World Breastfeeding Week 2010 Breastfeeding-Friendly Business & Worksite Award today. Owned by a couple with a small child themselves, this is truly a family business. It just so happens that the talent of the chocolatier also makes parents very happen!

The Chocolate Door is on Franklin Street but does have a few parking spaces reserved for customers on the side of their building.

The Chocolate Door Gourmet Chocolates
http://thechocolatedoor.com/

516 West Franklin Street

Chapel Hill, NC

919-240-7290

2 Comments:

At September 14, 2010 at 11:10 AM , Anonymous MJ said...

A little late, but we loved meeting you. Please come back with your camera, and of course you can use the bouncy seat and pack and play. We have no problems with that. :-) Mj

 
At September 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM , Blogger chapelhillmom said...

Ha, that is so great that I could use the pack n play if I needed. Just didn't want to offer your stuff to everyone out there without check first. ;) Thanks for being such a family friendly business. And for making such great chocolates!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home