Monday, August 16, 2010

The Scrap Exchange

From Sarah C.:

**Note: The Scrap Exchange has moved to a new location as of June 2011. Address has been updated below.**

Entrance at former Foster St location
Looking to get out of the house and flex your creative muscles? Head to The Scrap Exchange in Durham. This store is filled with a variety of unique items to inspire creativity in all ages.

On a recent visit, I discovered shelves of glass beakers, bins of scrap fabrics and postcards, rolls of stickers, stacks of discarded computer cards, and much, much more. You can purchase individual items or select a bag (there are 3 sizes) for a set price. Then fill it with goodies from the blue bins located near the front of the store.

For school aged kids, digging through these could be quite the treasure hunt - not to mention the fun they will have making their creations afterward.

D accompanied me on the visit (strapped in his umbrella stroller) and was definitely wide-eyed and curious about all the interesting items and colors. He reached out on occasion to try and grab something that caught his eye. Thankfully, my husband was with us and helped keep the stroller in motion while I browsed as well as kept an close eye on what D was trying to grab - there are plenty of breakable items stacked around the store.


In the rear left is a classroom where you can work on a project during your visit. Ask the staff for details. It also functions as space for workshops and birthday parties. See the website (link below) for more information.

Finally, be sure to visit the Green Gallery featuring work by artists who use reclaimed items in their designs. Show schedules are listed on the website.


The Scrap Exchange
http://www.scrapexchange.org/
923 Franklin Street
Durham

(919) 688-6960

Labels:

4 Comments:

At August 17, 2010 at 11:32 AM , Anonymous Ruth at The Scrap Exchange said...

Thank you for this review! We always appreciate when our customers pass on a good word about our mission. :)

 
At August 17, 2010 at 1:00 PM , Blogger Sarah C. said...

Ruth, thanks for stopping by our blog! I'm actually ashamed it took me this long to make my first visit to The Scrap Exchange. I heard of you all when I was in Design School at State. My family & I truly enjoyed our visit. Even my husband is looking forward to getting back again soon.

 
At August 17, 2010 at 7:06 PM , Blogger chapelhillmom said...

You should also see what Sarah C did with her Scrap Exchange buy:
http://2pawsdesigns.blogspot.com/2010/08/crayon-bottle-caps.html
I love that you guys do what you do and can't wait to get there myself soon!

 
At August 21, 2010 at 3:28 PM , OpenID dysons said...

Such a fun place to go!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home