Saturday, October 30, 2010

PTA Thrift Shops

As I was shopping for our Halloween costumes (very last minute, I know), I darted in to our lovely thrift stores. And I thought, 'My Goodness, our readers should have our PTA Thrift Shops on their radar screens!'

Both Orange and Chatham Counties have PTA Thrift Shops. As a person (who watches a lot of HGTV where they turn junk to beautiful pieces with just a can of spraypaint) I love thrift stores -- bargains! But as a parent I love the PTA Thrift Shops even more. And here's why:

These consignment shops take their proceeds and put some directly back into our local schools. They divide revenues based on a formula that factors in population as well as volunteer hours. So if you volunteer, you are directly impacting the amount of funding your school gets back! Thank you! The money is sent to the school's PTA for their use. Chatham started their Thrift Shop in 1983 and since then, they say they have given over $4 million back to the schools. The Orange County PTA shop started in 1952. Can you imagine how many millions they must have given back?

So I love that this is for a good cause. And I love that they have some really good stuff in here! I have been to both Chapel Hill locations and the Cole Park Plaza location and I am always amazed at how many great things are in there. Yeah, you have to dig, but it is worth it. (By the way, C has fun in here, too, and I have seen many other kids running around having a blast.) They sell maternity clothes and I have seen pack n plays and exersaucers and more up for sale at these thrift shops.

If you are looking to donate, your goods are tax-deductible. I have to say that we have donated a bunch of stuff in our past (moving will make you purge). And the PTA Thrift Shops are the least picky we have ever seen. Not saying you should dump your garbage on them, but they are certainly more willing to take and consider whatever you have to donate than some of the other big-chain donation shops in the area. If you are donating, check online or call before you go as the hours for donating are different than store hours. In Chatham County, you take your wares in to the store. Orange County has an area around the back of the Jones Ferry location that will accept donations as well as a completely separate donatio

PTA Thrift Shops
Orange County:
http://ptathriftshop.com/
Two locations
Jones Ferry Road, Carrboro, 967-1272
Village Plaza Shopping Center, Chapel Hill, 942-6101
Donation Center, 942-9412

Chatham County: http://www.chathamwebbuilders.net/chathamptathriftshopsinc/
Three locations
Cole Park Plaza, Chapel Hill, 969-9457
Piggly Wiggly Shopping Center, Pittsboro, 542-4070
Bestfoods Plaza, Siler City, 663-2395

4 Comments:

At October 30, 2010 at 7:53 PM , Anonymous Laura said...

Don't forget the Carrboro Thrift Shop on Main Stree! They have a great selection too, check out their books.

 
At October 30, 2010 at 8:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a shame they're not allowed to sell baby stuff and toys anymore.

 
At October 30, 2010 at 8:07 PM , Blogger chapelhillmom said...

I know!! I actually saw an exersaucer at the one near Whole Foods 2 days ago, and was surprised. But they said that they can't do baby gear and toys for safety reasons. Bummer! They still have lots of clothes, kid books, and stuff for mama, though, so that was nice.

Laura: Are you talking about the Carrboro one that is near Akai Hana (the huge one)? In doing my blog-research, they state that that is actually the Jones Ferry Road address. Or did I miss one!? If I missed one, I am so going on Monday. We need some fall sweaters.

 
At October 31, 2010 at 10:48 PM , Anonymous Laura said...

Good question. I went to the website to check the address and they do list their address as Main St but in the description it says at the intersection of Jones Ferry Rd. and West Main St. You are correct in your listing, I was thinking of Jones Ferry farther out and wasn't making the connection that it is the same place. That is a great store!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home