Sunday, January 9, 2011

For Mom: Pure Barre

Was your New Year's Resolution to get in shape? Well, when I saw a place that advertised that their programs help "New Moms Bounce Back," I knew I had to get in there.

Pure Barre is the newest trend in workout studios. And on their website is a portion specifically dedicated to new moms: "Pure Barre is the safest and most effective way to get back in shape after your baby. In PB there is no impact, you can work at your own pace and it focuses on the areas that need the most attention post-baby (abs, hips & thighs). To help you bounce back after your baby, we offer a special priced 3 month unlimited package for new moms. "Let's be honest, if you have had a child those probably are your problem areas. They are for me! So with a location in Meadowmont, I gave it a go.

Pure Barre focuses on tiny, controlled movements to burn and tone. You use a small ball, resistance bands, light weights, and a ballet barre. It starts off fast, right into the first round of abdominal work within 10 minutes.

There isn't any cardio component to this, it is all about toning.

I was a ballet dancer for years, and thought this would be run more like a ballet class, but the particular session I attended just used the barre for balance and stability. I was told that how balletic the class is is dependent on the instructor.

This was tough! I like to think myself reasonably in shape, and I was shaking on some of the moves. As were the other ladies in the class with me....

It was all low impact moves, integrating some Pilates. And the instructor was great about coming around and correcting form and technique to keep the workouts safe and effective.

Even though my glutes would be mad to hear me say this today, I would definitely go back to Pure Barre!

Psst, when you do get hooked, there are workouts available on DVD and podcast for you to do at home. Do something good for mom, head to Pure Barre.

Pure Barre
http://purebarre.com
Two locations in the Triangle:

Pure Barre Chapel Hill
608 Meadowmont Village Circle
Chapel Hill, NC
919-537-8305
chapelhill@purebarre.com

Pure Barre Raleigh
4209-134 Lassiter Mill Road
Raleigh, NC
919-896-7464
raleigh@purebarre.com

2 Comments:

At January 9, 2011 at 7:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a great workout. do they offer a free visit to check it out? if not, do you know the cost for a single class. i did not see any pricing info on their website. j

 
At January 9, 2011 at 7:58 PM , Blogger chapelhillmom said...

Good question! I didn't buy a package, and they didn't give me any pricing info. But they charged me $18 for a one-time walk in rate. I know they offer deals if you buy a package. A lot of the girls I was in class with had purchased Groupons in advance.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home