Thursday, May 19, 2011

Gigi's Cupcakes

I don't know why, but after a fantastic lunch with C and some friends at The Flying Biscuit the other week, I decided that I also needed a cupcake (what is wrong with me?). So we hit the road and went down the street a little ways to Gigi's Cupcakes.

Wow. I mean, wow. First, they look gorgeous. They are tall, artful, and enticing. The display cases show you everything you can have, and they all look good. I really was interested in the Sea Salt Caramel cupcake but, instead and for C's sake, ended up with the Birthday Cake and the Chocolate Chip.

Second, these are delicious. I generally do not like icing unless it is the cream cheese kind. But these were fantastic and I was licking the sugar frosting off the plate at the end. It was good without being too sweet, and the cupcakes themselves were moist and tasty. Plus, they look like art. I mean, look at it:

Some other thoughts I had about this place:
- Of course the cupcakes aren't cheap. But they are worth it.
- There is no way I would let my toddler eat an entire one of these on his own. Sugar rush!
- Heck, I can barely eat an entire one on my own. So share the sweetness.
- It makes me sad that Chapel Hill's cupcake shop, Bliss, had such a short life.

Although, some interesting gossip: the woman behind the counter told me that they are scoping out locations in both Chapel Hill and Durham right now and hope to open in at least one of the two towns very soon. So I might not have to be driving to Cary to get my cupcakes in the future!

They also do custom cupcakes, for special events such as birthday parties. And I thought about it for C's upcoming party.... but that would be a LOT of red Elmo frosting on the top....

Gigi's Cupcakes
http://gigiscupcakesusa.com/
The Shops of Oberlin Court
2038 Oberlin Road
Raleigh
919-896-8636

Brier Creek
8521 Brier Creek Parkway, Suite 105
Raleigh
919-206-4002

2 Comments:

At May 19, 2011 at 5:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! DaisyCakes will also be opening up a brick & mortar location in Durham shortly...check them out: http://eatdaisycakes.com/ so hopefully soon we'll have enough sweetness in all areas of the Triangle!

 
At May 20, 2011 at 2:22 PM , Blogger allison c said...

That is great information to have and I anxiously look forward to their opening! I love my sweet treats!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home