Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My NC Will

It's been awhile since we've done a 'resources' post so I thought it might be time to lay one on you. And it's a serious topic, sad, but you have to have a will. As a parent or guardian, it is absolutely necessary. I don't know if you are aware, but according to NC law if the parents/legal guardians of a child were to pass away all of the money and assets to care for the child would be deferred to the state. (Ok, as this is a legal thing there are a lot of nuances, but that's the gist.) I am sure the majority of you know someone else you would rather trust your child/ren's care and finances to.

But, of course, having a proper will drawn up is expensive and confusing. I started by trying to do this on the cheap. I had Quicken documents; I tried legalzoom.com. Yet I still had to fork out some money and it was still a little overwhelming. There are a lot of moving pieces and I had a lot of questions. Further, if you have kids around odds are it will be really difficult to take the time to complete this! Of course, if you already have a family attorney or someone you use, by all means, give them a ring.

However, Stacey S'Rich sent me over to www.myncwill.com years ago, and it was a great fit. So if you are looking for a reasonable pricetag and someone else to do all the work for you, might I suggest myncwill.com to you. This is so smart. A Cary law firm, Monaco & Roberts, PLLC, has streamlined the process and the costs of getting a will tailored to your family.

You begin by filling out an online questionnare. And it's not hard. After that, one of the attorneys will call you to ask any questions they may have and otherwise touchbase. And then they get to drafting. Once they have completed all 50 million (so maybe I exaggerate, but not by much) pieces of paper you need they call you to set up an appointment. You come in, look everything over, ask questions, and then sign away. You are allotted about 90 minutes for a couple, and all of the paperwork is to cover each if you in full. If there are any changes that need to be made the attorney can make them there on his computer and print off fresh copies. Notaries are on site, too, so you walk away with your original, legally binding wills to put in your firesafe box or wherever it is you keep valuables.

The entire package includes a standard will, a living will (what do you want if, heaven forbid, you are in a long term coma, for example), dealing with your life insurance policies, and naming power of attorneys. A lot of this stuff I missed when trying to do this via LegalZoom and Quicken on my own.

The wills are very flexible, too, so from what I gather you do not need to go in to update them unless something incredibly large changes (i.e., divorce, separation).

The best is that this entire process is reasonably priced (as far as legal services go). For 1 person it is $250. Total. Including the 90 minute office time. If you are a couple, there is a "mirror will" option which in lay-speak means that you both leave each other things and then together pick a provider should you both pass. That's only $400 total including the 90 minute office time. When DH and I used this service there weren't any tricks or hidden costs. I had priced out a bunch of attorneys before we got online here, too, and they were much more expensive and they couldn't they guarantee a ceiling price.

Another nice note is that we didn't complete this process until after C came along. We took him with us to our appointment. And the attorney didn't mind in the least.

Again, this isn't a happy topic. Nor is this going to be the cheapest thing you can do. But part of being a parent and guardian is being responsible and thinking about the longterm health and well being of your kid. Be smart. Be prepared. My NC Will makes it easy for you.

My NC Will
www.myncwill.com

2 Comments:

At June 3, 2011 at 9:11 PM , Anonymous Gaby said...

Just wanted to share with you what we did: we used a template that my husband found on a website and then just got it notarized at the bank. All for free!!! If you want I can send you the template (he cannot remember which website he got it from, but you could also try a web search).

 
At June 5, 2011 at 5:38 PM , Blogger allison c said...

Good tip, Gaby. Free is always best! I had a hard time using a free template I found since it didn't include all the pieces and I didn't have anyone to ask questions of when I was confused or wanted to change things, but I am sure it is a great solution for those less easily-confused than I! If you all think of the site, send it along. I am sure readers would appreciate it a lot.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home