Monday, July 18, 2011

East End Playground/Sprayground - Durham

We've been making the sprayground circuit lately. I love them (quite possibly more than C). Which is weird considering as a kid I never got into water parks, slip n slides, or anything of the sort. I preferred to be in an actual pool, my legs tied together, pretending I was a mermaid. Note that singing underwater is way hard.

Anyhow, I was excited to try out the final sprayground in Durham: East End.

First, let me talk about the playground. The playground structure itself wasn't bad. This is a small park off of Alston Ave, but the playground still held some entertainment for our toddlers. Ground cover was mulch, not a lot of shade, yet we were there early morning when we had a nice breeze (unlike our Meadowmont Day!).

Despite the relatively nice condition of the play structure itself, us moms were none the pleased to discover not 1, but 2, prophylactics underneath the playground. Used, too. Now I don't care what crazy things people or teenagers do - provided they aren't related to me. But clean up folks. Gross.

There was a nice picnic shelter with some toddler-level tactile toys and nice picnic benches. Our kids also enjoyed the old, grown-over little amphitheater here. It was small but fun.

And then there is the sprayground. I will go ahead and put this post under our sprayground listing since Durham claims it as such. But I am hesitant to do so. You be the judge. Here is the sprayground:It didn't even work when we were there.

Also note that the bathrooms and Recreation Center were all locked when we were there at 10 am.

So my advice, parents, is that, unless you are at LocoPops and really want to head to a park, this might not be the best bet. Forest Hills is down the street and we had a very good time at that park and sprayground last year.

Full list of amenities:
  • Athletic Field
  • Basketball Courts(2)
  • Grills(2)
  • Field Lights
  • Picnic Tables(10)
  • Playground
  • Recreation Center(Neighborhood Center)
  • Picnic Shelter(SMALL)
  • Spray Ground
  • Tennis Courts(6)
  • Water Fountain
  • Youth Baseball Field
East End Park and Sprayground
http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/
1200 N. Alston Ave
Durham

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home