Thursday, July 28, 2011

Prenatal Peek

It is that time in my pregnancy where I recently got to see the new baby via ultrasound for the first time, and find out what we're having. I am not a patient person by nature so, while I admire those of you who wait to discover your baby's gender until that special day of delivery, I find myself unable to wait! (And we're having another boy!)

Lucky for me this pregnancy and last were so healthy and easy and normal that I have had very little medical intervention. Which means not a lot of time at doctor's offices (hooray!) but also only one little ultrasound. Which for someone who loves to see the baby was pretty sad to me. I know, irrational, but I blame it on crazy pregnancy hormones. So I decided to check out one of these boutiques that does 3D (and now 4D) ultrasounds. I never had a 3D ultrasound with C and wasn't offered one at the doctor's office for BB2 ("Baby Boy 2"). For some reason (pregnancy hormones again?) I wanted to try it out.

I was torn between trying out Triangle Imaging or Prenatal Peek. Their services and prices were really similar. Ultimately, it came down to location. Prenatal Peek was closer to me; Triangle Imaging is in Cary.

Speaking of prices, there are a variety of packages but these aren't cheap. Nor are any of these covered by insurance. These are elective noninvasive procedures. But they are still run by professionals. Both Triangle Imaging and Prenatal Peek seem to offer a lot of specials, though, so get them while they are hot. You can go in for under $100 and come out with cute pictures (all put on a CD-ROM for you) and some video, too. I thought the session time would be short and leave me feeling short-changed at only 15 minutes. But, truly, that was adequate and fulfilling.

Plus you get, in the words of Michael Scott, some serious S.W.A.G: Stuff We All Get. Books, magazines, totes, formula, La Leche League information, and who knows what else I stowed away for BB2's arrival.

Additionally, these ultrasounds are not for medical reasons. Which means that while your doctor will run an ultrasound clicking and measuring and weighing, these imaging boutiques just let you look at your baby, hear the heartbeat, and take home a lot of cute pictures. If they believe anything looks amiss they send you back to your primary care physician.

The experience here is much different than your doctor's office experience. Here they play soothing lullabye music and everything was so comfortable with couches and chairs and loungers all around. Plus you could hold court in the ultrasound room. Seriously. I counted and outside of mama and the technician you could have 5 people sit elsewhere in the room very comfortably. They can all look and oooh and aaaah over your baby moving around.

And it really is a remarkable experience. Pregnancy seems so surreal at times, since your body is taking over and doing what it needs to do. It is a magical experience to be able to peek inside for a little while and see the baby. Makes me excited to hold him when he gets here!

Prenatal Peek
http://prenatalpeek.com/
Sutton Station
5842 Fayetteville Road, Suite 108
Durham
Email: nc@prenatalpeek.com

1 Comments:

At July 25, 2012 at 5:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this place also, the most friendly staff ever and you can tell they love their job and know their ultrasounds. I would recommend them to everyone.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home