Sunday, January 15, 2012

2012 Fitness Challenge - Week 2

#MiCHillFit2012 Here's our wrap-up for week 2 of our 2012 Fitness Challenge. None of us seemed to meet our personal goals this week, but we are still so pleased we are moving at all.  How did you do?  Was it a crazy week for you, too?

From Allison:
Me = flu.  Toddler = 2 burst ear drums.  How would you do in that case?  My only goal this week was just to start walking a little further (I want to get to walking a 5k distance soon, then I can work on running it).  But considering our week I was just happy and proud to make it out at all in any way any how.  I went walking (even did a little lite jog at the end) on Tuesday morning with the Jeep jogger, walked again on Friday, then on Saturday I actually was able to hit the gym thanks to DH and did 4.21 miles on the elliptical.  I won't tell you how long it took me to go 4.21 miles.  The point is I did it (and learned a lot from Cupcake Wars in the meantime).  Today, Sunday, I managed to walk and jog a little again.  I still tracked my progress on Endomondo, I am moving, baby B has been able to listen to "I Whip My Hair" a few times, and I feel better for meeting just my little personal challenges this week.

From Katie:
I really expected that this week would be easier since I got off to a good start in Week 1. I was wrong. We had a sick week this week, so while I met my goal of exercising 4 times this week I just barely met it and it was a struggle. Here’s how it went:

Sunday and Friday: Walking. Sunday, with my husband and little guy—really more racing down the Meadowmont Trails. Sometimes with my 2 year old competing, sometimes with him riding on my back yelling, “Mommy, go, go, go!” Friday, pushing a trike (we really had to get out after four days inside).  Thursday and Saturday: 45 minutes at the gym both days. If I weren’t doing this challenge, I don’t know that I would have exercised all 4 days. I have felt better for having done it, and I’m looking forward to setting some new goals and trying some new things next week. In the meantime, what do you do to fit in exercise when you have a sick little one(s)?

From Sarah:
Like Katie, I had high hopes for week 2. My plan was to start the 3 days of week 2, Ease into 5k on Sunday. The weather forecast looked good outdoor walk/run on Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday. Unfortunately, Sunday morning I had a migraine so I accomplished nothing but R&R. Monday I felt better and wasn't going to let the rain hold me back. I did a yoga routine using WiiFit.Tuesday I finally got outdoors and completed Week 2, Day 1 walk/run. On Thursday, I was ready to rock my workout minus the cold wind. This is where trying to workout with my toddler in the jogger gets tricky. At 1 mile into the routine, D tells me he needs to 'go'(forgive my honesty here, but I think it's safe all parents reading this get this moment!). It was one of those moments where I was trying to remember why I thought potty training now was a good idea. Proud he had told me and with high hopes, I turned us around and went as fast as I could back the mile to our house. I didn't quite finish the routine but I was definitely moving faster than I had previous days! Go figure, total false alarm. I then intended to do Week 2, Day 3 of the routine on Saturday, but, as happens, my Saturday plans changed last minute and did not include getting in my workout. Today, Sunday, I did manage a 3 mile walk with my boys in the 37 degree morning air. Brr! The cold kept DH & I moving fast while D seemed to enjoy his snug warm ride tucked into the jogger with the plastic weather shield over it. One lesson I have already learned in the past 2 weeks, I do best if I can get my Ease into 5k training in on Monday-Wednesday-Friday. Thankfully, this week the forecast looks like I will be able to do so.

Interested in more up-to-date details on what we're doing or want to share with us how you are doing in the Fitness Challenge? Leave a comment, visit us on Facebook, or join along in the Challenge chatter on Twitter (use hashtag #MiCHillFit2012).

2 Comments:

At January 16, 2012 at 7:19 PM , Blogger UNCMomof2 said...

Hi ladies! It's so inspirational hearing all your workout stories! I am planning to drag Katie to a Zumba class one of these days, and you're all welcome to tag along. She has childcare too. It's the highest energy workout I've had in awhile, and I enjoy it much more than running or the gym. Class is MWF 10am at Dance Theatre South off Fayetteville Rd in Durham right near Southpoint Mall. The instructor, Leslie is a mom of 3 and a super upbeat, happy, fun person. Let me know if you want to come!

 
At January 17, 2012 at 3:48 AM , Blogger allison c @godansker.com said...

I would definitely be interested. I love dance workouts and it is so hard to find places these days that have childcare. Thanks for the tip!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home