Monday, January 23, 2012

2012 Fitness Challenge - Week 3

#MiCHillFit2012 Here's our wrap-up for week 3 of our 2012 Fitness Challenge. How did you do?

From Allison:
As predicted, I was spastic-worker-outer this week.  No plan.  I can't even really remember what I did except I know that I tried hard and didn't lose a pound.  Let's see....Monday I did an at-home DVD that made me sore.  Tuesday my DH actually kicked me out of the house to go to the gym.  Apparently I was a little short nerved.  While that maybe should have bothered me, I took the opportunity to take a 'me-break' and went to the gym for a good slog on the elliptical.  Wednesday I did the at-home DVD again.  Thursday I met a friend for a great walk/jog on the Bolin Creek Greenway Trail (what!? we don't have an article on that?!) but afterwards promptly negated any calorie loss potential with the Bloody Mar we got to reward ourselves.  TOTALLY worth it, though.  Saturday I did the gym again first thing in the morning.  Hey, did you know that a 5k is only 3.11 miles!?  And according to About.com a moderate speed is 1 hour.  I am *so* thrilled to say that each time I walked/jogged/ellipticalled (is that a verb yet?) I went the distance, kinda close to moderate, too!  Friends: it's not as far as you think.  We can do this!

From Katie:
Week 3 was another tough one for me.  I started the week with a sick toddler again.  So, while I cannot say that I met my goal, I can say that things were looking up toward the end of the week:  Tuesday.  Bicycling and lots of tag with H.  I broke out the bike and enjoyed part of the afternoon  riding.  Then, H decided not to nap, and it was gorgeous outside, so we did lots of “racing” and playing tag.  Wednesday.  More bicycling.  I love riding around our neighborhood, and it is such a tremendous stress relief for me! Thursday.  Gym.  I hit the elliptical, the bike, and reintroduced my core muscles to my old friend, the rowing machine!  Saturday.  Walking.  We’re visiting my parents, so I took advantage of the free babysitting,  put on my sneakers and hit the pavement during a break from the rain.  This week, I also found an app I’m going to try for 5K training.  It’s called 5K runner and takes 8 weeks.  The other thing I found was that I can stream fitness videos through DH’s DVD player!  Maybe an awesome way to mix it up and exercise at home when life throws me curveballs!

From Sarah:
After being a little off schedule week 2, I finally got back on track this week. On Monday, I took full advantage of DH having the day off and took my first solo run/walk. I was energized and enjoyed it. Kind of a nice change not having to push the jogger + my 30lb toddler. I definitely had a quicker pace. Wednesday I hesitated for a moment. We had spent the morning at the pediatrician and, while D was acting fine, he was sick. As I thought about it, I realized getting us both outside in the chilly air would be good. One of his ailments was croup and cold air is helpful - so, no excuse, mama, get out there and run! That mindset helped push me to get us out on Friday even with the threat of rain. I finished my workout just as the rain started and, with the weather shield pulled down over the jogger, D was snug & dry the entire time. Saturday morning I had my usual massage I get every 4 weeks as treatment for my migraines. It was extra nice this time as I felt like I had really earned that relaxation with my hard work keeping up on this challenge! My bit of encouragement there to you all that are joining us on the challenge, remember to reward yourself every once in a while. You've earned it.

Interested in more up-to-date details on what we're doing or want to share with us how you are doing in the Fitness Challenge? Leave a comment, visit us on Facebook, or join along in the Challenge chatter on Twitter (use hashtag #MiCHillFit2012).

2 Comments:

At January 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM , Anonymous Raleigh Mommy said...

You guys are inspiring! :) I haven't heard of the 5k Runner app, but several of my friends like the C25K (Couch to 5k) app. FWIW :)

 
At January 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM , Blogger allison c @godansker.com said...

Hi Raleigh Mommy! So good to see you back in action (and love the new site). Thanks for the feedback. I, of course, prefer to go rogue with no set plan at all. This could massively fail me, of course. Sarah has actually been using Ease into 5K, too http://mominchapelhill.blogspot.com/2012/01/2012-fitness-challenge-week-1.html which she has loved.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home