Sunday, February 19, 2012

2012 Fitness Challenge - Week 7

#MiCHillFit2012 Here's our wrap-up for week 7 of our 2012 Fitness Challenge. How is your training going?

From Allison:
We're running a bit late on this post this Sunday since my arms hurt so bad from going back to BodyPump (first class since taking maternity time off) that I can't type.  Ok, I exaggerate...but only slightly...  I worked hard this week, friends.  Most importantly I conquered The Beast: The Treadmill.  Lordy I truly hate that thing.  But a promise to do a 5K is a promise to do a 5K.  So I did 3.15 miles on it.  I ran the whole distance, slowly, no hills.  And it was NOT pretty.  I could barely walk the next day.  Who  has pointers for me!?  I realized that good gear is essential (fantastic shoes, moisture wikking (sounds so witchy) socks, good sports bra, and ear buds that stay in) but I would love to know what other tips you runners out there have to make it not hurt so much.  I am getting nervous!

From Katie:
It has been a tough week.  Everyone in the house has been sick, so while I cannot say that I’ve trained hard, or even stuck to a program.  I have spent some time nearly every day pushing H around the neighborhood in the jogging stroller.  I’ve spent plenty of time wondering if I am really making progress, which brings me to this:  I need a way to track my fitness goals that isn’t entirely dependent on an app devoted to one training program.  That’s when I remembered Sarah C’s post on Spark People and BabyFit, so I signed up. I am one of those people who needs to keep a log, and I have to say, it has helped tremendously!

I am excited about the upcoming week—I have my first meeting with a personal trainer at the UNC Wellness Center and there are a couple of classes I am hoping to try.  In the meantime, I can’t wait to walk/jog with some of the new friends I’ve made, and I’m ready to try giving a full 3.2 miles a try!

I’d love to hear:  How do you fit in workouts when things don’t go according to plan? How do you make exercise a priority in your daily life?

From Sarah:
Finally! I managed a good MWF workout schedule. I used the same Ease into 5k routine all 3 days - Week 5, Day 2. While I managed to complete it on Monday (with D napping in the jogger), let's be honest, it kicked my behind. Knowing then that we had over 9 weeks until the race and the app is only 8 weeks, I knew I had time to work in some repeats. Wednesday I found it to be a tad easier and on Friday, I finally felt in control. Although part of that might have been the awesome weather and the ability to run jogger/toddler free since DH had the day off (amazing how loosing those extra pounds make a huge difference!). Yesterday, I treated myself to a full body massage. Hello, legs, did they ever need that! Wow! I have a few new stretches to do thanks to my massage therapist and feel ready to tackle Week 5, Day 3. Now I just need the weather to cooperate!

Interested in more up-to-date details on what we're doing or want to share with us how you are doing in the Fitness Challenge? Leave a comment, visit us on Facebook, or join along in the Challenge chatter on Twitter (use hashtag #MiCHillFit2012).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home