Thursday, February 9, 2012

Strays

MiCHill Note: I have received a lot of emails about Strays.  They do, indeed, have a pottery studio in the back (Feather Foot Studios) that has offered occasional pottery classes for kids.  Currently classes have been on a little break (the owner was on maternity leave).  But GOOD NEWS, this is coming back bigger and better than ever.  I talked to Feather Foot Studios owner, Erin, and she is getting ready with a new website, a new room design, and more classes and scheduling options.  It's all very exciting.  Classes will resume February 21st for toddlers through 5th graders.  Right now the best way to get information is to email or call Erin directly (featherfootpottery@gmail.com or 919-923-2466).  We'll be sure to let you know when the website is launched.  And, of course, we'll get you a review of Feather Foot Studios when it's time.  In the meantime, here is some information from Katie about a spot in Southern Village that has parent-friendly shopping as well as gifts for kids and babies.  (Psst-For more errand-friendly shops, check out this article here.):

Don’t you love a store that is child-friendly?  I know it definitely makes my life easier!  A few weeks ago, I was looking for a birthday gift for a friend and wanted to get something by a local artist or craftsperson so my first thought was to stop in at Strays in Southern Village.   I took H with me, but I confess that I’m always a little nervous taking him in stores with, well, things he could ruin, especially when I’m short on time.  When we went into Strays, though, I was pleasantly surprised—they have some children’s toys set up in a corner of the store to keep little hands occupied!  Hooray!  Don’t get me wrong, we aren’t talking about a huge play area, we’re talking about a few toys in the corner, but H was so happy, and I could see him from all points in the store! 

If you haven’t been to Strays, it’s a one-stop-shop of sorts.  It used to be Pack and Ship, and they still do shipping, but they have art and crafts by over fifty local artisans, from jewelry to prints to gorgeous baby blankets, hats and booties.  So, you can shop, and, if necessary, ship what you’ve bought, all in one stop, and all while your child plays in the corner of the store.    Prices vary by artist, but I have found many reasonably priced items.

Another great thing about Strays, and other stores in Southern Village, is the proximity to several great parks, including Southern Community Park, Newell Street Park, Hillspring Street Park, and Edgewater Street Park.  You could even stop in at Town Hall Grill for lunch and make an afternoon of it!

The downside—H didn’t want to leave!  I can’t wait to go back for the Second Friday Artwalk!  For more information on Strays, check out our review on Discovering the Southern Part of Heaven.   

Strays
http://southernvillageshipping.com/
710 Market Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919.933.4202

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home