Sunday, March 25, 2012

2012 Fitness Challenge - Week 12

#MiCHillFit2012 Here's our wrap-up for week 12 of our 2012 Fitness Challenge. Only 27 days to go ... are you keeping up?

From Allison:
Let me tell you how much I ran this week.  None.  At all.  I did get my booty in to the gym, though, and pushed myself hard.  I did my usual BodyPumps, BodySteps, and Sh'Bams.  This week I even tried out CrossFit!  I am so hard core, right?!  Really, I bought a Living Social deal for some CrossFit classes in a moment of "smelling some crazy salts" and "sleep deprivation." Then I had to use the classes so I wasn't "wasting money."  I'll fill you all in on that in a separate blog article.  That pushed me muscularly and I am actually going back.  But I am starting to worry that I am not getting enough cardio in.  I just really am having a hard time finding the time to run.  Which is a shame since the weather has turned nice (finally).  I think, since I want to be honest with you all, that I find running while pushing a stroller SO hard that I avoid it if possible.  How do all you running mamas do it?!  What are your secrets?

From Katie:
Half the point of us doing this fitness challenge is to keep us honest on how much we’re exercising. So, as much as it pains me to admit this, I only exercised twice this week - not my goal of four times a week. It just got hard to fit things in (lame excuse there, isn’t it?). I need to take a cue from Allison and put it on my schedule in ink, possibly in Sharpie. For those of you who know any of us personally, you know we’re all in love with the new Martha Stewart organizational products. Certainly there is some pretty organizer in that line that will help me keep my schedule?

In the spirit of honesty, though, I have been keeping a secret from you. This Mom in Chapel Hill is expecting baby number 2! We are over the moon! Guess when I found out, though - about three weeks after I agreed to the fitness challenge! I thought, “no problem, I will just keep doing what I’m doing. It is good for baby, and for me.” So, I was right on the good for baby and for me part but, really, the keeping up what I was doing is proving difficult. I just don’t remember morning sickness being soooooooooooo intense with H! So, if it seems like I’m slacking some weeks, well, I am. 24/7 nausea and fatigue make it hard to get fired up about running (for me), but I keep on walking. My goal was originally to run this 5k. My goal now is to finish it. Maybe now that I’m into the second trimester I’ll have a little less nausea and a little more energy.

In the meantime, I so need your advice! Tell me about your pregnancy fitness routine! Are there classes you love? If you already have a toddler, how do you do it?

From Sarah:
I fell shy of my goal of three runs for the week, but I did get in two plus a 2 mile walk with my mom & D midweek. I also moved forward one day in the Ease into 5k app - I ran 27 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday using Week 7, Day 3. That leaves me with 3 "official" training days as part of the final week in the app at just under 4 weeks out to race day. My goal is to use each of those days repeatedly over a week's time (ie, this week focus on Week 8, Day 1 and next week move on to Week 8, Day 2) so that I will be at 30 minute runs with a week left before the race. I still have some work to do, but when I look back at Week 1 in our challenge, I'm proud of how far I've come and feeling more confident that I can complete the 5k on April 21st.

Interested in more up-to-date details on what we're doing or want to share with us how you are doing in the Fitness Challenge? Leave a comment, visit us on Facebook, or join along in the Challenge chatter on Twitter (use hashtag #MiCHillFit2012).

3 Comments:

At March 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM , Blogger JMS said...

Congrats Katie! Is anyone running this Saturday's 5K in CH for practice (not that the hills will compare) but I haven't done a 5K since Dec and am thinking of blindly going out there!

 
At March 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM , Blogger Katy said...

Congrats Katie! That's awesome news! I know you'll all do great in the race, just try not to feel guilty about the runs you don't get in, just be proud of exercising at all with kids! I found out I was pregnant with #2 two days before I ran my second half marathon, it was exhausting. It was all walking with the stroller for me after that!

 
At March 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM , Blogger Sarah C. said...

Not me. I have other plans this Saturday that I'm tied to. Let us know how you do!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home