Sunday, March 4, 2012

2012 Fitness Challenge - Week 9

#MiCHillFit2012 Here's our wrap-up for week 9 of our 2012 Fitness Challenge. How are you doing?

From Allison:
You might as well skip my summary and move on to Katie's & Sarah's...theirs are far more interesting since they did more (plus Sarah gives you a nice little teaser).  I did return to teaching at the gym this week, which meant I got in some physical fitness and was so privileged to see the beautiful faces of so many lovely people and friends.  It also meant I was SORE and sooooo not interested in running.  But I forced myself to get out today (Sunday) and did my close-to-2.5mi-loop.  Without a stroller.  And it felt good!  I mean, well, not good, but not terrible either.  I think I have actually made progress!?

Other exciting news?  We officially have a team logo thanks to the crafty work of Sarah C.! I am in love... with Super Grover and that awesome logo.  Running with us?  Training with us?  Grab it and go.

From Katie:
I’ve gotten outside this week, on the warm days, that is, for good long walks. I feel like a broken record telling you how I’ve enjoyed chatting with friends while I walk, and I find it helps me go far longer than I would on my own. So, that brings me to two things. First, I need a stepping stone to prepare for the Briar Chapel 5k. And second, I need some variety to keep this up.

Let’s talk first about the stepping stone. So, I’m going to give things a test run with the Crop Walk taking place in downtown Carrboro and Chapel Hill on March 25. Part of me doesn’t believe I just agreed to do it, but then again, it is a great cause, and a great trial run for me in terms of getting ready for the 5K! Oh, and while I was at it, I signed up my husband, and my sister, and my niece. I am certain they will be excited. Really. I. am.

Now, let’s talk variety. I really need to mix it up. I wish I could just choose one workout and do it over, and over, and over, and still love it, but I’m beyond ready to add a little variety to my workouts. Dance classes? Gym workouts?  Bike rides? What are your favorites?

Until next week…

From Sarah:
Is it just me, or are the weeks passing faster now? I am loving the warm weather that's made it easier to get out and get moving. Although the heat got to me a bit on Thursday. It was my 2nd day out running for the week and while I knew it was hot (my thermometer in the shade read 79), I went ahead and moved forward in the Ease into 5k app and tried my first 20 minute run. The path I run on has several shaded spots plus there was a good breeze so it didn't feel terribly hot. I ended up pausing the app at the 12 minute mark though to catch my breath, literally, and use my inhaler. This is the first time my asthma has challenged me during this training. Moments later I was finishing up the final 8 minutes - my legs felt challenged still but my lungs were a-ok. Afterward, I pulled out my foam roller (a recent workout addition) and stretched all those tight leg muscles. If you haven't tried this yet, I highly recommended it.

To mix things up this week, I did a yoga routine using our WiiFit and also added an unexpected workout when my DH came home Tuesday evening with a rented copy of Just Dance 3. First, I have no moves, ok. It wasn't pretty. But it did turn into an amusing family event (D was asking to do it again the next day, so we did!) and it was quite workout. Wow. I worked up a sweat trying to keep up with the dancer on the screen! Just don't go looking for me in any clubs. Like I said, it wasn't pretty. Thinking about it now literally has me laughing and a bit fearful of what fitness related activity Allison has roped me into for this upcoming week. Curious? Check back in. We'll definitely share in a future post.

Interested in more up-to-date details on what we're doing or want to share with us how you are doing in the Fitness Challenge? Leave a comment, visit us on Facebook, or join along in the Challenge chatter on Twitter (use hashtag #MiCHillFit2012).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home