Thursday, March 29, 2012

Arts & Crafts Thursday: Melted Crayon Suncatchers

I got a fancy new iron from my brother for Christmas.  It made me feel old not that I got an iron as a gift but that I actually was excited about it.  I loved this gift so that I could work on my sewing and also so that I could do fun artsy projects like this one.

Note that this project certainly involves adult help.  But I remember doing this with my mom as a kid and was happy to try it with C.

Supplies:
  • wax paper
  • scissors
  • crayons without wrappers - think old broken crayons for this
  • pencil or crayon sharpener
  • iron (for adult helper only!)
First, cut out 2 pieces of wax paper the same shape and size with your scissors.  C and I did a heart shape since we were thinking of doing a Valentine's Day theme when we first tried this out but, really, whatever shape you want will work.
 Using your sharpener, create small bits of crayon of various colors.  Place bits onto 1 of the pieces of wax paper.  The way you do this can vary.  I actually shaved the bits for C then had him place the pieces on the wax paper.  Older kids can sharpen their own.
Place the other piece of wax paper on top.  ADULTS: Using your iron on the lowest setting, slowly but constantly move your iron across the top piece of wax paper.  You will be melting the crayon bits between the 2 sheets of wax paper.  Note that melted crayons can ooze out the sides.  You may want to place an old rag or a piece of newspaper on top to protect your iron or just iron carefully.  (I didn't take any pictures of this step since, while I love my camera, I am not about to try to work with a hot iron and photo that at the same time... I am not that good!)

When done, you will have a lovely, colorful, and drippy suncatcher.  If you like, once the wax is dry you can punch a hole on the top, run some string through it, and hang them.  But otherwise allow the light to shine through!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home