Friday, April 27, 2012

Nantucket Cafe

I have long been a fan of family dining at the Nantucket Cafe over at Farrington/54/40 intersection.  But as you know we're pretty picky about what eating establishments we recommend to families and put on this site, so I hesitated posting about it.  Then Katie mentioned how much she loved dining there with  H and I thought "this must be shared!"  Please note, though, that while there are a few Nantucket Cafes in the area, the one we are specifically talking about is the Farrington location...they are not all created equal...especially when it comes to those bathrooms.:

Nantucket has long been one of my Chapel Hill favorites, from my college days when the only location was tucked in the corner of Rams Plaza and we went in the mornings to get muffin tops (the edible kind).  When I moved back to Chapel Hill almost two years ago, the location on Farrington became one of our go to spots:  good food, familiar spot, close to home.

Nantucket has a great kids’ menu (I'll talk more about that below), and a great bakery (think birthday cake).  There are a lot of high chairs around as well as a bunch of seating, including outdoor dining.  Service is fast.  I’ve long planned to post about Nantucket over on Southern Part of Heaven.  It wasn’t until I went into the bathroom that I realized that I just had to tell the Mom in Chapel Hill readers about it, too.  Yep, you read that right, the bathroom.

You’re probably wondering why a restaurant bathroom would impress me so much.  Sure, we’ve all been in bathrooms with our children and then warned our friends:  “oh, you won’t find a changing table there,” or maybe worse.  We all know that even if a place has a great kids menu, no changing table or lack of high chairs and booster seats can make you nix a place from your family dining list.  Well, have no fear at Nantucket (at least the one on Farrington)!  They even supply the changing extras, like baby lotion, etc! As in, they don’t just have a changing station, they have a stocked one!   I can’t even count how many times I have gotten into a public restroom with H and realized I left one key thing at home, or DH used the last of something on their last outing.  I was so surprised at the stocked changing station that I called to ask if they do it regularly, and yes, they do!  (seriously, it could have been some incredibly kind, or forgetful, diaper fairy who left all that stuff behind.)  Okay, don’t expect them to have everything—but isn’t it nice to know there is a restaurant out there anticipating a Mommy’s needs?

Now that you know all about the bathroom, I have to tell you that the kids’ menu is pretty darn good.  It’s really standard kids’ menu fare in terms of the entrees (hot dogs, cheeseburgers, fish fingers, chicken fingers, mac and cheese, grilled cheese, etc), but instead of just fries and applesauce as side choices they also offer steamed broccoli, fresh fruit, and grapes, which makes it a hit with my family.  If you haven’t been before, the Farrington location in Chapel Hill features their bakery items in a case by the front door.  As a Mom, I could potentially see the drawback to this (oh, please, don’t let my little one start asking for cupcakes), but we use it as bribery.  You know how it goes...if you are good through dinner, you can pick a cupcake.... I know, we probably shouldn’t be using food as a reward, but that’s another blog entirely....If you can't spring for a full cupcake or don't want to, they also offer free bakery samples by the front door that would work for bribery, too!

Happy Eating (and diaper changing)!

Nantucket Cafe & Grill
www.nantucketcafeandgrill.com

(please check website for additional locations)
5925 Farrington Road
Chapel Hill, NC
919.402.0077

Labels:

3 Comments:

At April 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM , Blogger tiffys tearoom said...

we are big nantucket fans too! but, we always go to the one on fayetteville in durham (close to southpoint). they also have a stocked changing table (which i love!!), kids eat free on sundays, & tuesday and saturday nights they give free dessert with entrees purchased. (and, in the summer, on weekends, they have music by the fountain that you get to enjoy while you eat outside & the kids can run around.) win in every way!

 
At April 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM , Blogger Leigh Powell Hines (Hines-Sight Blog) said...

I've been wanting to eat there. Sounds great.

 
At April 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM , Anonymous Clyde from Chapel Hill Tees said...

I LOVE Nantucket Cafe. And it's right on the exit for I-40 so I'm constantly reminded of its deliciousness and I end up eating there all the time.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home