Thursday, May 24, 2012

Arts & Crafts Thursday: Salad Spinner Art

We received a lot of great gifts for our wedding... that we rarely use.  Like our salad spinner.  I had visions of myself hosting grand dinner parties, making fresh endive salads, needing to rinse those greens well.  Yet before I learned about this little art project I think our salad spinner had been out a handful of times.  Now we use it a lot: for art!

Supplies:
  • paper
  • scissors
  • paint (I used washable, non-toxic so I would have the use of my salad spinner for food again someday)
  • salad spinner
Take your piece of paper and cut it in to a circle to fit down inside the salad spinner.

Squeeze some paint, of various colors, in to the bottom of the spinner, on top of the paper.
Close the spinner up, and show your child how to push the button on top.  The spinner will whirl and the paint will fly around inside.
If your child is anything like mine they will love the experience.  For me it was mesmerizing and kind of hypnotic.  C just laughed while he did, very excited.
It makes for some pretty cool art, too, and you can do it as many times as you want with as much or as little paint as you want.
 Probably not what your Aunt Nancy was thinking when she bought it for you years ago, but a good chance to put that salad spinner to a new and creative use,.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home