Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Food Neighbor

Check out this review from Katie on a service trying to make your job as a parent easier!:

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have to tell you that the folks over at Food Neighbor, contacted us at Discovering the Southern Part of Heaven and offered a free test of their service.  I, of course, was willing to try it out: a company that will bring meals right to my door!?  Yes!  Even though I got a free sample of this service, rest assured the opinions that follow are entirely my own and I have received no payment or other compensation for writing about this service.

And as a Mom, I love things that make my life simpler, especially when it comes to getting dinner on the table.  And, I’m sure like many of you, I am always looking for ways to stretch my grocery dollar, which can be tough if you want to try new recipes that require that you purchase a lot of something, just to use a little!  That’s where Food Neighbor comes in.  I didn't quite get what they are all about until I tried them. You see, they aren't a meal service where you can buy and put together prepared or frozen meals like Dinner Savvy (though I seriously love those); this is a service that does that prep work for you, and maximizes your grocery dollar, because you only get enough of each ingredient for your recipe.

You’re probably wondering how this works.  You sign up for their service and you choose your meals from their list of offerings the week before you want them. It isn't a subscription service in that you only pay for the meals you order, and you can order one or many.  Then, Food Neighbor does the shopping and the prep work for you. You get the measured out ingredients for each full meal in a handy reusable grocery bag. We're talking separated, labeled, measured ingredients and the printed recipe instructions on a card. Then, you put the meal together and cook it.

I was a little skeptical going in.  How involved would the recipes be?  How long would they take?  Sometimes I have very limited time to cook.  And, is it really only enough for two people (though you can order for 4)? I tried the lettuce wraps one night and the pork tenderloin with homemade mashed potatoes (mine usually come from a box) and squash medley the next. I was surprised at how little time each took, since the majority of the prep work was taken out. (Okay, I had to chop a little cilantro and rinse some lettuce, but really, that might have taken 5 minutes--and marinating the pork loin was a cinch). I also loved that the recipe card spells out every single detail. In terms of the amount of food, I can see that the meals for two might not feed 4 adults, but they certainly fed 2 adults and one growing toddler without issue. Oh, and by the way: we all loved it!


I also loved that I didn't have to buy a whole bottle of fish sauce just to try the lettuce wraps, and that the food was very fresh. Using this service will take some planning, since you don’t want to let all that wonderful fresh food spoil.  And, while it doesn't take too long to prepare, you are doing more than thawing it out.  It definitely took me longer than the recipe card suggested, but really, dinner time is sort of the witching hour for H in our house. But really, I need to plan my meals better, and I love that it encourages cooking more, all while stretching my grocery dollar and making putting dinner on the table that much easier!

Food Neighbor delivers all over the Triangle area.  Menu offerings go out Wednesday and Thursday and are delivered on Mondays.  Bon apetit!

 Food Neighbor
https://www.foodneighbor.com/

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home