Thursday, June 14, 2012

Arts & Crafts Thursday: Fizzy "Painting"

I know that the level on these A.C.T.s posts has been elevated...what with My SweetArts now helping us and Sarah's fancy Hungry Caterpillar post.  But you all know that I am the sort of kid-crafting mom who looks in my cabinet, says "what do I have what do I have," then does a quick Pinterest search to see what we can do.  Hence why you are getting this easy one today that also happened to entertain my son for quite a long time.  We call it Fizzy Painting but we made that up.  Feel free to call this whatever you like.

Supplies:
  • vinegar, regular old white distilled
  • food coloring
  • cups
  • dropper
  • baking soda
  • tray or plate

Place baking soda in the tray/plate that you have.  Doesn't really matter how much.  I put a lot in and also gave C a tray with edges so that he could be as unsupervised as possible.

Pour some vinegar in to a couple of cups and put a few drops of different food coloring in to each one.  It doesn't matter how much.  The more food coloring the more vibrant.

Show your child how to use the dropper to syringe some of the vinegar from one of the cups on to the baking soda.

Then sit back and enjoy.  Of course, this is old school science experiment stuff so the baking soda/vinegar will fizz and the colors add another wonderful dimension.


Another good thing?  If your child tries to eat this particular project they won't die.  Sure, they won't like it, but they won't fall over as they would, say, if they ate a Sharpie.

Want to know the scientific reaction behind this and make it a learning experience?  I like this link here.

2 Comments:

At June 14, 2012 at 12:55 PM , Anonymous My SweetArts said...

Allison, this is incredible! Love it! And C looks so into it. I love incorporating science into art and all with household ingredients.

 
At June 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM , Anonymous Nancy said...

This one is simple enough that I might even try it! and I am definitely not the crafty type. thanks!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home