Thursday, October 4, 2012

Arts & Crafts Thursday: Ghost Plaque

I am lifting this craft today from Sarah's crafty other-blog: 2paws Designs. (I know, a life outside of MiCHill!)  I had the honor of doing this craft with her a few Halloweens ago and it is such a special keepsake.  Of course, I am a total sucker for foot-/hand-print art.  C's foot was so, so tiny and squishy years ago.  And now every Halloween I have the joy of getting teary when I pull out this decoration...

Supplies

  • 5x7 wooden plaque (or similar sized canvas ... needs to be large enough to fit your child's footprint)
  • black & white acrylic paint
  • paint brushes and a cotton swab
  • sandpaper
  • Mod Podge
  • orange ribbon
  • beading wire (or similar to help create the hanger)
  • staple gun 

Start by painting the plaque black. Let it dry completely. If desired, sand the edges a bit to give a more distressed look. Apply white paint to the bottom of your child's foot (note: I had D strapped into his highchair and a wet paper towel ready so he didn't leave white footprints all over the house!) and press foot to the plaque. Set the plaque aside to dry and wipe the foot clean. Once the footprint has dried, use a cotton swab and black paint to add the dots for the eyes and mouth. After these have dried, apply Mod Podge to seal.


While waiting for the Mod Podge to dry (follow instructions on the bottle), cut a piece of ribbon about 2 feet in length and tie a bow in the middle. Attach it to the back of the plaque using a staple gun.


My original plan was to use the ribbon as the hanger, but I didn't like how it looked. Thus, the addition of the wire. You can add the two simultaneously if you want. I found it easy, once the ribbon was in place, to loop the wire through the knot in the center and then staple each end to the plaque. I then pulled the wire up and twisted it onto itself to finish.

That's it! Now you can hang your completed project on the wall. Enjoy!

See the original post here.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At October 4, 2012 at 3:08 PM , Blogger Leigh Powell Hines said...

That is adorable.

 
At October 9, 2012 at 12:37 AM , Anonymous Lorie Beth said...

Awww this is a cute halloween idea! I bet it would be so cute with my little newborns feet!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home