Thursday, November 1, 2012

Arts & Crafts Thursday: Thankful Turkeys

From Sarah C.:

Time to flip from Halloween to Thanksgiving! Amazing how the fall months begin to speed by from holiday to holiday. I recall making versions of these turkeys myself as a child. I'm calling them "thankful turkeys" as D & I talked about things we were thankful for and then wrote those on the feathers to help remind us throughout the season.

Supplies:
  • toilet paper tube
  • construction paper
  • crayon or pencil or pen
  • scissors
  • glue (we used a glue stick and glue dots)
  • googly eyes (optional)
  • feathers (optional - could use instead of paper)
  • markers (optional)

To start our project, I drew feather shapes onto 4 pieces of construction paper. Then we talked about things we were thankful for and I wrote one on each feather. Depending upon your child's age & ability, they might be able to do this part themselves. (Note here's where I made a small error - didn't plan ahead enough so two of our thankful things are upside down! Oops! My advice, write some on the far left & some on far right to leave enough space to glue and still see words.)


We're learning to use scissors so I encouraged D to cut out each of the feathers. If your child is too young, you could precut these pieces.

Next use glue to adhere each of the feathers to one side of the tube.


Add eyes by either gluing on googly eyes or drawing some with a marker.

Cut a small triangle beak and wiggly looking wattle from construction paper. Attach with glue.


Enjoy the finished creation! (And, yes, my child thinks the wattle is the mouth. What I love about crafting with toddlers - you never know how it will turn out.)


Labels:

1 Comments:

At November 1, 2012 at 3:33 PM , Blogger Leigh Powell Hines said...

Those are cute.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home