Friday, December 28, 2012

Mommy Time: Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction

We're back after a little holiday break and this post from Teresa couldn't come at a better time.  Hope you all had a happy and successful season:

Did you feel the the holiday stress, too? Before kids, I never understood the concept of holiday stress. I mean, what is there to stress about? Gifts, decorations, get togethers… it all just sounded like fun to me, why would I stress? Now I know. Kids make your life exponentially busier. In my regular life, it is hard to fit everything in. Throw in all the extra to-dos of the holidays, no matter how joyful, things can start to pile up and get stressful in trying to get it all done.
 
How do you handle your stress? Now, I don’t consider myself to be a “stressed” person in general, but when I learned about the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course offered by Duke Integrative Medicine, I thought it would be great to gain more tools on taking things in stride and being in the moment. 

The Duke Integrative Medicine website describes the course as “a method of using meditation and yoga to cultivate awareness and reduce stress. It is based on the ancient practice of mindfulness, which is about waking up, being fully alive, and being present for the richness of each moment of our lives. Within this awakening, we gain access to our deepest inner resources for living, healing, and coping with stress.”

I can honestly say I have never taken a course that has been more meaningful to my daily life than this one. You learn how to step back, observe your being and accept things as they are.  When the kids are getting crazy, I now find that I can more often take a breath, and accept the moment for what it is and respond appropriately -- instead of feeling crazed. I also felt that the course, and the practice, has cultivated an enhanced sense of gratitude and peace in me.

Investing in this mommy time not only benefits the parent, but it also will benefit your family and those you interact with.  What a win-win situation! By taking the time for the class and mindfulness practice, you and your family reap the harvest of a calmer and more peaceful mom! 

The MBSR course meets once a week for 8 weeks, and is 2.5 hours long per class. A day of mindfulness is also part of the course, which is an all-day intensive session of mindfulness.  The class is offered at various times at Duke Integrative Medicine and other triangle locations.

Duke Integrative Medicine
http://www.dukeintegrativemedicine.com/
3475 Erwin Road
Durham
919-660-6826


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home