Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Mommy Time: Personal Space

A new aspect of Mommy Time from Teresa today.  I have my personal space at home, do you?:

We don’t always need to get out of the house to get some mommy time. Sometimes, retreating to our own little corner is all we need. A place that reminds you who you are, other than “mom,” and holds the things or space for you to do things you enjoy. Do you have an area in your home that is just for you?

We have a small room attached to our garage that I have turned into my office. It is not connected to the rest of the house, and you have to go outside to get to it. I have to admit, this is pretty nice. I can sneak out there and the kids don’t know where I am, and you can’t hear anything inside the house. Of course, the downside is that I can’t really go out there unless my significant other is home.

Nonetheless, having a room that is just my own is a nice luxury. I have only my things there, with a comfortable chair, desk, crafty stuff, and a TV. Sometimes I go to write, or work on a project. Other times I just literally do nothing but breathe and soak in the silence.

However, a personal space doesn’t have to be an entire room. A small closet could be made into a desk space, if you like to write or craft. A corner of a spare bedroom could be made into a reading nook or meditation/prayer space. You could take over some real estate in your garage or basement for exercise, dance or yoga. What do you like to do? What fills you up? Can you dedicate a space in your home for just you?

I think it’s good to decorate your personal space with things that inspire, motivate, or create a feeling of happiness. I have put up art that I find relaxing and a magnet board I can put little memories on. It can be so easy to get swept away in the momentum of motherhood, and not spend enough time nourishing ourselves. Having a personal space can help make it easier to get some mommy time and recharge.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At January 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM , Blogger Melisa - Mommy This & That said...

Wow, that would be a dream come true to have a space that was my own where the kids could not find me!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home